Italy's Government Rejects Proposal to Replace Iran at 2026 World Cup
![]() |
| Italy's Government Rejects Proposal to Replace Iran at 2026 World Cup |
Italy's government has firmly rejected a proposal that would see the country's national football team take Iran's place at the 2026 FIFA World Cup — a suggestion that has drawn sharp criticism from Italian officials, coaches, and football figures who say it is both impossible and embarrassing.
The idea was floated by Paolo Zampolli, an Italian-American who serves as a US special envoy for global relations under President Donald Trump. Zampolli told the Financial Times that he made the suggestion to both Trump and FIFA President Gianni Infantino. "I'm an Italian native, and it would be a dream to see the Azzurri at a US-hosted tournament. With four titles, they have the pedigree to justify inclusion," he said. Zampolli has no official connection to the World Cup or to Italian football.
The proposal centres on the uncertainty surrounding Iran's participation in the tournament. Since the United States-Israeli war on Iran began on February 28, Iran's participation in this summer's edition of FIFA's global showpiece has been in doubt because all of the country's group-stage matches are scheduled to be played in the US. Iran had previously requested FIFA move their three group-stage games to Mexico, a request that was rejected.
Italy missed out on the World Cup for the third successive time after losing a penalty shootout to Bosnia and Herzegovina in their qualifying playoff final. Despite this, Zampolli argued that Italy's football pedigree — four World Cup titles — justified their inclusion in place of a team whose participation is uncertain.
The Italian government was having none of it. Sports Minister Andrea Abodi told the Italian news agency La Presse: "Firstly it is not possible, secondly it is not appropriate… You qualify on the pitch." Economy Minister Giancarlo Giorgetti went further, describing the concept as "shameful."
Italian Olympic Committee President Luciano Buonfiglio said: "First of all, I don't think it's possible. Second, I'd feel offended. In order to go to the World Cup, you have to earn it."
Leading Italian coach Gianni De Biasi echoed that sentiment and added a pointed remark about the country's independence. "Furthermore, I believe Italy doesn't need Trump's support on an issue like this. I think we can manage on our own," he told Reuters.
The reaction among Italian fans and media was largely one of indifference mixed with embarrassment. Italy's main sports news websites gave the story only a passing reference. Italian media also noted that this proposal carries a familiar feeling — because it has been made before.
Four years ago, Zampolli, when he was a United Nations ambassador, wrote to Infantino saying that "the world is demanding" that he disqualify Iran because of the country's poor human rights record, and suggested the team be replaced with Italy. The request was ignored as Iran took part and went out after the group stage, having lost to England and the US and beaten Wales.
This time, the backdrop is more politically charged. The proposal was reportedly part of an effort to repair ties between Trump and Italy's Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni. Meloni has been a vocal supporter of the US president, but the two fell out when Trump recently criticized Pope Leo XIV, an outspoken opponent of the war. Meloni had called the verbal lashing on the Pontiff "unacceptable," but Trump fired back, saying she was the "unacceptable" one as she "doesn't care if Iran has a nuclear weapon and would blow up Italy in two minutes if they had the chance."
The suggestion, however, did not come from Trump or anyone within his administration. It was purely Zampolli's initiative, though he confirmed in communications with media that he pitched the idea directly.
From FIFA's side, the governing body made its position clear by pointing to statements already made by its president. FIFA declined to comment on Zampolli's request, referring instead to Infantino's statement that the Iranian team will be participating "for sure." "We hope that by then the situation will be peaceful. That would definitely help. But Iran has to come if they are to represent their people," Infantino said. "They have qualified, and they're actually quite a good team as well. They really want to play, and they should play. Sport should be outside politics."
Iran's own officials have consistently indicated they intend to participate. Iran's government spokesperson Fatemeh Mohajerani said all necessary arrangements for the team's effective participation in the tournament have been ensured by the Ministry of Sports and Youth. Iranian football federation President Mehdi Taj told reporters at a pro-government rally in Tehran: "We are preparing and making arrangements for the World Cup, but we are obedient to the decisions of the authorities."
Outside Italy, reactions in the wider football community were also cautious. David Aganzo, president of Spain's Association of Footballers and former head of the global players' union FIFPRO, said: "People who want to go to the World Cup have to earn their place on sporting merit. We all agree on that, and we're going to make that clear to FIFA. But let's take a look at the issues involved, as there may be different perspectives or situations in this regard that we might not be aware of."
Should Iran somehow be excluded — a scenario that currently has no basis in official action — the rules are clear on how a replacement would be handled. Under FIFA rules, the governing body has "sole discretion" over selecting a replacement team in the event of a withdrawal or exclusion. The Asian Football Confederation would be expected to lobby hard for the replacement to come from Asia, with the United Arab Emirates, who lost a qualifying playoff to Iraq last November, the obvious choice. One option would be to replace Iran with the top-ranking national team that failed to qualify. According to the current official standings, this would be the 12th-ranked Italy. However, this is a purely theoretical scenario with no active process behind it.
The World Cup gets under way on June 11 with Iran scheduled to kick off their campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15. As of now, there is no official indication from FIFA, Iran, or any governing body that the situation will change before then.
Sources:
- Sky News: news.sky.com/story/giorgia-melonis-government-rules-out-italy-replacing-iran-at-world-cup-13535400
- Al Jazeera: aljazeera.com/sports/2026/4/23/italy-officials-say-replacing-iran-at-world-cup-2026-would-be-shameful
- CNN: cnn.com/2026/04/23/sport/world-cup-iran-italy-trump
- NBC News: nbcnews.com/sports/soccer/italy-underwhelmed-trump-envoys-suggestion-replace-iran-world-cup
- Euronews: euronews.com/2026/04/23/trump-envoy-calls-on-fifa-to-replace-iran-with-italy-at-world-cup
- TIME: time.com/article/2026/04/23/iran-italy-world-cup-us-war-soccer-diplomacy

Comments
Post a Comment