US-Iran Talks Stall as Trump Cancels Envoys' Pakistan Trip

 

US-Iran Talks Stall as Trump Cancels Envoys' Pakistan Trip
US-Iran Talks Stall as Trump Cancels Envoys' Pakistan Trip


April 28, 2026

Efforts to reach a lasting peace agreement between the United States and Iran hit a wall last Saturday when President Donald Trump called off a planned visit to Pakistan by two of his top envoys, leaving negotiations in an uncertain state.

Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner had been expected to travel to Islamabad for indirect talks with Iranian officials, with Pakistan serving as the mediating party. The trip did not happen. Trump explained his decision in a post on his Truth Social platform: "If they want to talk, all they have to do is call!!!"


Where Things Stand

The cancellation came roughly two weeks after the most significant face-to-face encounter between the two countries in decades. On April 11, US Vice President JD Vance, Witkoff, and Kushner flew to Islamabad for direct talks with Iranian officials — the highest-level discussions between the two governments since Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution. The session lasted 21 hours. At the end of it, Vance announced that no agreement had been reached, saying Iran had refused several core US demands.

A ceasefire, brokered by Pakistan, had taken effect on April 8, following roughly six weeks of US and Israeli strikes on Iran. The ceasefire has held, broadly, though both sides have accused the other of violations since it came into force. Trump extended the truce on April 21 without setting a new deadline, saying he was in no rush to conclude a deal.


Iran's New Proposal

In the days leading up to Saturday's cancellation, Iran submitted a new proposal through Pakistani mediators. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the proposal was "better than what we thought they were going to submit," though he stressed that any final deal must prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon.

The proposal, according to sources familiar with the matter reported by CNN, would reopen the Strait of Hormuz — which Iranian forces have effectively blocked to international shipping — but would defer discussions on Iran's nuclear program to a later stage of negotiations. The Trump administration has not publicly accepted or rejected the offer. Rubio, asked in a Fox News interview whether Trump would accept it, declined to speculate, saying only: "Suffice it to say that the nuclear question is the reason why we're in this in the first place."


The Core Disagreements

The gap between the two sides' positions remains wide on several issues.

On nuclear enrichment, the US has demanded that Iran halt all uranium enrichment, dismantle its major enrichment facilities, and remove its stockpile of highly enriched uranium from the country. Iran has rejected these terms. The head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization has said the country will not accept limits on its enrichment program. Axios has reported that the US may be willing to time-limit the commitment to 20 years; Iran has countered with five years.

On the Strait of Hormuz, the US wants the waterway fully reopened without Iran charging a toll for passage. Iran has maintained restrictions on the strait and says international recognition of its sovereignty over the waterway is a condition for any agreement. Trump floated the idea of joint US-Iranian administration of the strait during the Islamabad talks; Iran rejected it.

Other unresolved issues include Iran's ballistic missile program, its support for armed groups across the region, and the timing of any sanctions relief.

US Central Command announced on Monday that the naval blockade the US declared on April 13 — following the failure of the Islamabad talks — has directed 38 ships to turn around or return to port.


Iran's Diplomatic Activity

While the planned Pakistan talks collapsed, Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi kept moving. After leaving Islamabad on Saturday, he traveled to Oman and met with Sultan Haitham bin Tariq al-Said to discuss the conflict. He then flew to St. Petersburg, Russia, where he met with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday and was also scheduled to meet with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov.

Iranian state media said Araghchi was expected to return to Islamabad for additional talks. Pakistan's political and military leadership, according to two Pakistani officials cited by the Associated Press, is continuing its mediation efforts despite the public hardening of positions from both Washington and Tehran.


No Talks Confirmed

As of Monday, no second round of talks in Pakistan has been confirmed, and neither side has declared negotiations finished. The ceasefire remains in place.


Sources: Al Jazeera, CNN, Time, Washington Post, UK House of Commons Library, Wikipedia (2026 Iran war ceasefire)

Comments